DC Comics will roll out a brand new manga-sized format for some of their most celebrated graphic novels in 2024.
The new trade paperback format, dubbed DC Compact Comics, will feature a 5.5″ x 8.5″ size, designed to sit comfortably next to manga at your local book store or comic shop.
SVP & General Manager of DC Anne DePies said “The DC Compact Comics price and sizing is perfect for readers of prose and manga looking to pick up a new-reader-friendly storyline in a self-contained full color graphic novel. This 5.5″ x 8.5″ paper cut is the most widely circulated softcover book size in the US and is popular among graphic novel aficionados in international markets.”
The initial DC Compact Comics line-up will include the following titles (at a $9.99 price point):
- Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
- Batman: The Court of Owls by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
- All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely
- Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell
- Wonder Woman: Earth One by Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette
- American Vampire Book One by Scott Snyder, Stephen King, and Rafael Albuquerque
- Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee
- Joker by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo
- Harley Quinn & the Gotham City Sirens by Paul Dini, Peter Calloway, Tony Bedard, Guillem March, and Andres Guinaldo
- Catwoman: Trail of the Catwoman by Darwyn Cooke and Ed Brubaker
The new format also includes a genre designation such as “Thriller” on the Watchmen cover or “Mystery” on the cover of Batman: Hush.
Check out a size comparison between a standard Watchmen graphic novel and the Compact Comics’ size below and look for them in stores this June.